Website builders make it easy for anyone to create a high-quality, professional-looking website in minutes – even with no coding or developing skills.
When I first started online, I built my websites using GoDaddy site builder and then Squarespace.
But, today, there are dozens of options to choose from and this can prove overwhelming when trying to pick the best solution for you.
To make things easier for you, I’ve researched and reviewed the best website builders in 2021.
Whether you are a writer, artist, consultant, or small business owner, you’ll find the perfect website builder for you below.
What are the Best Website Builders?
The best website builder for creatives and others ($16/month).
Squarespace is yet another popular website builder that’s designed to allow you to quickly build a website even with no prior experience or coding knowledge.
The platform is also a popular listed CMS (content management system) and comes with a ton of awesome-looking templates designed for a variety of niches.
Onboarding is easy and you can have a website up and running in just a few minutes thanks to the drag-and-drop editor.
- Third-Party Extensions: Easily manage, optimize, and grow your site by syncing with third-party extensions.
- ECommerce Tools: From merchandising to checkout, get all the tools you need to build and grow your online store.
- 24/7 Support: Personalized support around the clock by email, live chat, or by joining a live webinar.
Pros of Squarespace:
- Save time with online scheduling
- Stay in touch with on-brand email communication
- Create stunning, professional-looking social content with the Unfold app
Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan, but you can sign up for a free 14-day trial to try out the website builder. Premium plans start at $16/month.
Best free website builder with advanced features (FREE or $6/Month).
Weebly is a well-established website builder for creating standard websites, as well as eCommerce stores.
The platform allows you to build a website for free, and grow it as your business grows. There are tons of customizable web page designs to choose from, and a lot of useful tools for getting your site discovered online so you can expand your customer base.
Although free, this is a powerful website builder, with even more impressive features on the premium plans.
- Intuitive Builder: Powerful drag-and-drop editor allows you to create perfect websites with just a few clicks of the mouse.
- ECommerce Tools: This platform is a complete eCommerce solution for growing your business online.
- Mobile Apps: The mobile apps allow you to build, edit, and manage any aspect of your site from your mobile device.
Pros of Weebly:
- Powerful design tools are at your fingertips
- Third-party integrations for your website, blog, or store
- Effective SEO tools to make your site more discoverable
Weebly has a branded free plan. After that, paid plans start at $6 per month for advanced features.
A good all-around builder with affordable prices (Starts from Free).
Wix is undoubtedly one of the best website builders for both beginners and pros. With it, you can design, manage, and develop a stunning web presence regardless of which industry you’re in.
You can create a Wix-branded website for free, and the drag-and-drop editor allows you to have your pages up in just minutes.
If you’re looking for a dead-simple solution for building high-quality websites, this is the perfect option for you.
- Wix AI: The platform’s artificial intelligence builds you a custom website based on your answers to a few questions.
- Advanced Features: Whether you want to build a blog, online store, or accept bookings online, you’ll find the features you need on Wix.
- Search Engine Optimization: The platform offers personalized SEO plans to help you get found by your target audience online.
Pros of Wix:
- Professionally designed templates for websites
- Wix editor for quickly designing and creating pages
- Built-in tools for growing your business online
Wix has a free tier, which I don’t recommend as it has obvious Wix branding to show that the site was free.
This is an instant trust-breaker when visitors land on your site, so you’re better off opting for one of the premium plans starting at $14/month.
Get Started With Wix
The world’s #1 website builder powering 41% of the web (Starts from $2.95/month).
WordPress powers 41% of the internet, up from 36% last year. The reason for the platform’s growing popularity is because the software is extremely flexible and easy to use.
Even complete beginners can quickly build and customize their websites with the software. But, it also has a ton of advanced features which makes it ideal for everyone including bloggers, small businesses, Fortune 500 companies, and more.
While WordPress is the cheapest of the options listed here and has no limitations as to what it can grow into, you’ll need a theme to begin and I recommend Thrive Themes. If you’re interested in knowing more about this, I recommend you read my Thrive Themes review to better understand what the platform offers.
- Simple Builder: Start any kind of blog, website, or online store with no coding or developing knowledge.
- Professionally-Designed Themes: Build a website that stands out with pre designed themes for different types of sites.
- Limitless Growth: Grow your plan as your website and audience grow with built-in tools and easy to install add-ons.
Pros of WordPress.com:
- Easily turn your website into an online store
- Built-in marketing tools to find your fans online
- Real-time notifications and analytics on mobile
You can start using WordPress.com for free, but if you want to remove branding and unlock advanced features, premium plans start from $4/month.
Get Started With WordPress.com
The easiest way to create websites without coding knowledge (Starts from Free).
Webnode is a website builder designed to save you time and money. Even if you’re a complete beginner, you don’t need any technical skills to start building beautiful websites in just minutes.
You can even use your phone or tablet to build websites on the go. The platform also has an extremely helpful and knowledgeable support team so you can get help fast.
If you want a design that stands out without having to put in hours of work to get it, this is a great website builder to consider.
- Drag-and-Drop Editor: Use building blocks to create stunning pages by simply dragging and dropping the elements you want.
- Professional Designs: There are over 100 expertly-designed templates that are easy for you to customize.
- ECommerce Tools: Start selling online with just a few clicks using one of the many online store templates.
Pros of Webnode:
- Experienced local and friendly support
- Includes domain mailboxes
- Offers a free website
You can create a website for free, but if you want to unlock additional features, such as premium support, custom domain, email accounts, analytics, and more, then you can sign up for the premium plans which start at $3.90/month.
Get Started With Webnode
A powerful website builder created for the self-employed (Starts from Free).
Jimdo is a popular platform that allows you to create professional-looking websites without effort.
With this software, you can design your site exactly how you want it and add all the features your small business needs. The platform includes a free image library, flexible layouts, and a drag-and-drop editor for easy page customization. The designs are optimized for mobile devices and you get all the features you need to start selling and collecting payments online.
- SEO Features: Jimdo comes with advanced features for search engine optimization so your fans can find you online.
- Social Marketing: You get tools to help you stand out on social media and increase your reach and exposure to new audiences.
- Personalized Support: With the premium plans, you get personalized support within four hours.
Pros of Jimdo:
- The free plan comes with 2 GB of bandwidth
- Includes a free domain
- All sites come with HTTPS security
You can create a free website with Jimdo, but the domain extension will be “.jimdosite.com”, which looks unprofessional.
Luckily, premium plans start at just $9/month for a custom domain, 10 GB bandwidth, 5 GB storage, and more.
Get Started With Jimdo
The easiest way to create a professional website (Starts from Free).
GoDaddy is an ideal option to consider if you are looking for a reliable website builder to create your website or online store for free.
It’s one that I used when I first started online and is designed to make it as easy as possible for anyone to build a website without any coding knowledge.
All you have to do is choose a template from dozens that cover every type of business imaginable. Use the simple drag-and-drop editor to make your own by changing the colors, fonts, and layouts in just a few clicks.
There are also a ton of integrated marketing tools designed to help you attract and keep customers.
- Reliable Hosting: The platform offers fast, secure hosting so you have the peace of mind of knowing your website will always be online.
- Professional Email: Build trust with your audience with branded email communication that matches your domain.
- SSL Security: GoDaddy websites are secure so you can protect your customers and your data.
Pros of GoDaddy:
- You can build a website and get online for free, forever
- GoDaddy offers a website design service
- Mobile-friendly website editable on any device
You can get started with Go Daddy’s free plan. No credit card is required, but if you want to unlock advanced features, such as custom domain connection, online store features, email marketing, and more, then you have to opt for one of the premium plans which start at $14.99/month.
Get Started With GoDaddy
A modern way to build custom websites with no code (Starts from Free).
Webflow is a website builder that empowers designers to create custom, professional-looking websites using a completely visual canvas.
This means that there’s no need to learn even a single line of code.
You can simply drag and drop images, text, and other elements onto a page to create the layout and design that you want.
With this software, even a beginner can create a production-ready experience in just a few minutes.
- Simple Editor: The platform is designed with non-tech savvy users in mind so they can create exceptional pages without code.
- Powerful Hosting Network: You can quickly launch your website and go live on a reliable, hassle-free hosting network.
- Growth Focused Platform: The premium plans are designed to make it easy for you to grow and scale your business.
Pros of Webflow:
- Free to use forever
- Massive community of users
- 100+ hours of tutorials
You can use Webflow for free for as long as you need to. There’s no need to pay until you’re ready to launch.
Get Started With Webflow
Other Website Builders to Consider:
- SiteBuilder: Popular website publishing tool.
- Shopify: A platform for building and running your online store with ease.
- Duda: The language genius.
- Strikingly: A good basic option for simple websites and one-pagers.
- Site 123: Ideal for languages.
- One.com: The budget site builder for beginners.
- WebStarts: A simpler Wix alternative.
What Features to Look For in Website Builders
The good news is that choosing the best website builder doesn’t have to be a complicated process. In fact, these days it’s relatively risk-free.
But, here are a few things to keep in mind before making your choice.
1. Features: Depending on the type of website you want to build, your needs may differ from the next person. However, common features to look for include a decent CMS, mobile-friendly designs, customizable SEO options, and image galleries.
You might also consider choosing a builder that gives you the ability to have registered users and allows password-protected pages.
2. Support: Regardless of whether you are a beginner or an experienced website creator, you need a website builder that offers reliable support. So, make sure you check the type of support offered by the platform before making your choice (that is, phone, chat, forums, knowledge base, etc.)
You will save yourself a lot of frustration down the line if you test the support before committing to a paid plan.
3. Domain Name: A lot of website builders offer the ability to register a new domain with them directly. However, you should also make sure that you are able to connect any previously purchased domain names as well.
4. Email Accounts: If you’re building a website for business, then you will probably want to have an email address associated with your domain name. This helps to strengthen your branding and boost your professionalism.
5. Free Trial: As previously mentioned, choosing the best website builder is now a relatively risk-free process thanks to the availability of free trials and money-back guarantees. This means that you can sign up on the platform and test out all the features before committing to a paid plan. You don’t have to invest any of your hard-earned money unless you know if it’s a good fit for your business.
6. Pricing: Last, but certainly not least, you should consider the pricing of your chosen website builder. If you are building a business online, you will likely need hosting services for years to come, which is why it’s crucial to choose a service provider that offers real value for money.
These requirements can change depending on what you need your website builder for. Every occupation is different, so I’ve created additional (and more specific guides) for those who need them.
Feel free to select any of the guides below if they’ll help you.
- Best Website Builders for Therapists
- Best Website Builders for Podcasts
- Best Website Builders for Musicians
- Best Website Builders for Affiliate Marketing
- Best Website Builder for Churches
How Can Website Builders Help You?
Website builders come with a variety of advantages. Listed below are just a few ways they can help you as an online business owner:
- No Coding Skills Required: To build a website online, you don’t need to have any technical skills. Gone are the days when people had to be programming or coding experts before they could put up a single page.
Now, you can have a professional-looking website up and running in minutes with just a few clicks of the mouse – and it’s all thanks to website builders.
- Quick and Easy Editing: Since your website builders are online based, the files are hosted on the servers of the service providers, which means that you can edit your website at any time from any device.
All you have to do is log into account and make changes. Click publish or save, and you’re done.
- Pre-designed Templates: Website builders take away the need for design talent. This means that anyone can create high-quality, professional looking websites by simply using a pre-created template for the particular type of website they want to build.
The best part about website builders is that the majority of them come with a wide range of templates to fit everyone’s needs and style.
- Affordable: Website builders have made it possible for anyone to build websites, whether there are individuals or large businesses. Just a few decades ago, websites were out of reach of most freelancers and small business owners, and companies had to pay tens of thousands of dollars to build websites, and now it can be done for just a few dollars.
- Easy Maintenance: Regular maintenance is important in order for your website to be successful. When using a website builder, it’s extremely easy to maintain your site. The drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to make changes and updates your web pages whenever necessary.
How Do Website Builders Work?
A website builder is simply a program or tool designed to help you build a website. There are two types of website builders: online website builders that are web-based and run on a provider’s service, and off-line website builders that come as a software program that you can download and install on your own computer.
I’ll explain how an online website builder works, since that is the focus of this article.
1. Sign up with a website builder
2. Log into your account and pick a website template that suits your needs
3. Edit the built-in elements of the template and add your own text, images, videos, etc. personalize your website.
4. Preview your website and if you’re happy with everything hit “Publish” and your site will be live!
We’ve come to the end of this review on the best website builders. I hope by now you have a good idea of which website builder is ideal for you. To help make things clearer, here’s a quick recap of what we discussed.
My number one recommendation is Wix. It’s a reliable platform that is perfect for both beginners and pros in any industry imaginable.
But, depending on your specific needs, any of the other website builders on our list will serve you equally well.
And the best part is, you can sign up for a free trial on as many of these platforms as you like.
Take your time to test out the features and see which one has what you need to help you build the type of website you want.