The movie industry has grown a lot over the years and continues to expand at an incredible speed. Despite the advent of the global coronavirus pandemic, the industry as a whole still shows healthy growth projections for the coming years.
There is no shortage of movies for you to review, and with more and more people turning to the internet for entertainment and news, now is a great time to start a movie blog.
A movie blog will provide you with a platform to reach massive audiences online. It’s a great way to show others your point of view and share your thoughts on movies you care about.
You will be able to create a community of friends and movie lovers who will flock to your blog for the latest industry news, movie review information, and more.
This guide will provide you with a step-by-step process to build a successful and profitable movie blog so you can make money doing something you enjoy.
This guide is extremely DETAILED and explains everything you need to start a Movie blog. I’ve been at this blogging stuff for over 8 years and have built a business making $20,000 per month, so I have a lot of helpful advice for you newbies out there.
If you get stuck or need advice, please contact me directly and I’ll help you out for free.
How to Start a Movie Blog in 10 Steps:
Below is a table of contents to help you navigate this guide. If you just need someone to walk you through the process of setting up your blog quickly and easily, check out step 5.
- 1. Decide the Focus of Your Movie Blog
- 2. Choose Your Movie Niche
- 3. Choose Your Blogging Platform
- Reasons to Avoid Free Blogging Platforms
- Why Choose Self-Hosted WordPress over Free Blogging Platforms
- 4. Decide Your Domain Name
- 5. Buy Your Domain Name and Hosting
- 6. Choose and Install a Theme For Your Teacher Blog
- Advantages of Choosing a Premium Theme
- 7. Create Essential Pages & Logo
- 8. Begin Blogging
- 9. Promoting Your Movie Blog
- 10. Start Making Money
Starting a movie blog is a lot easier than you might imagine. Even if you have zero experience building websites, this guide will take you through the step-by-step process so you can build, grow, and monetize your movie blog.
But first, let’s take a look at some of the reasons why it’s a great idea to start a movie blog:
Review Movies: Getting to review movies is something that many movie lovers would do even if they weren’t being paid for it. With your own blog, you get to review all the movies you love (and hate) and make a decent income doing it.
Let Your Voice Be Heard: One of the most common reasons people want to start a movie blog is for the love of movies. Your movie blog will give you a platform where you can talk about various things that interest you in the world of cinema.
Improve Your Writing Skills: As one blogger once said, good blogging comes from passion. If you’re passionate about writing about movies, it will help you improve your writing skills significantly.
Make Money: Although there are many reasons why you might want to start a movie review blog, one of the main reasons is that you can make money doing what you love – and you get to work on your own schedule.
Get Early Screenings to Movies: As you begin to establish authority in your niche, you will start to get early screenings to movies. The more popular your blog becomes, the more opportunities will open up to you.
Meet Actors and Directors: When you start a movie blog, there will be tons of opportunities that present themselves to you if you remain persistent. For instance, you may get on the studio press invitation list and get to meet actors and directors that you admire.
Get Film Memorabilia: Yet another benefit that comes with starting a movie blog is that you get access to film memorabilia.
These are just a few of the many reasons why starting a movie blog is such a great idea. And now, on to the fun part where you can get started creating your blog.
1. Decide the Focus of Your Movie Blog
In order to ensure your success, you need to start your movie blog with a purpose. And so, your first step is to decide the focus or direction of your new blog.
This is something that is overlooked by a lot of bloggers, and it’s one of the main reasons why so many of them ultimately fail.
Below are some ideas that are possible ways to position your blog so you can have the best chance of success. Take the time to go through each so you can get some ideas as to the direction of focus for your new blog.
- Movie Reviews: Your blog can be focused on current movie reviews.
- Movie Recommendations and Criticisms: Movie critic blogs like Roger Ebert are also a popular option.
- Directors or Actors’ Careers: Your blog can also be about criticizing or talking positively about directors/actors and their careers.
News About Movies: Alternatively, you can make your blog about news and movies that are coming out and how released movies are performing
2. Choose Your Movie Niche
Your next step is to choose your movie niche. Your niche is simply a corner of the market that you’re most knowledgeable about. It’s the place where you can establish yourself as an authority or expert on the topic.
Don’t create a generic blog that focuses on a niche like “movies”, which is too broad, or “movies in 1975” which would be too narrow
Instead, you want to find the sweet spot for your movie blog niche, where it’s not so broad that it’s impossible for you to get noticed, or so narrow that you’re left with very little room for growth.
You must choose a niche for your blog that will allow you to attract an audience while giving you room to expand your blog in the future.
Why it’s Important to Choose a Niche
By choosing just one narrow niche, you make it more likely that you will be able to amass an audience of engaged followers. If you blog about all things that are movie-related, it will make it hard for you to build an audience for your new blog.
Also, choosing a niche helps to make it more likely that you will be viewed as an expert or an authority in that niche.
There are many different types of niches you can focus on with your blog. I’ve listed some of them below to give you inspiration and help you brainstorm additional ideas.
- Choose a Movie Genre: Your blog can focus on any of the different movie genres, including horror, country, comedies, drama, thrillers, action, and so on.
- Generalized Movie Blog: You can blog about movies in general, although I wouldn’t recommend this course of action as you will be taking on established blogs like ScreenRant right from the beginning.
- Movie Blog Focused on Directors: An example of such a blog is Strictly Film School, which arguably embodies cinephilia in the internet age better than any other blog.
- Asian or Foreign Films: Your niche can be focused on Asian movies, like the Asian movie blog MissMalini.
- Indie Films: This is yet another niche that is extremely popular among movie bloggers. A great example of this type of blog is No Film School Blog.
- Hollywood Blockbusters: If you choose this niche, your blog will focus on providing a thoughtful and analytical approach to the output from Hollywood.
- Classic Hollywood Movie Blog: A classic movie blog will allow you to share news and information about classic movies, like the blog Out of the Past
- Retro Films: If you love retro films, you can dedicate your blog to the celebration of cinema retro.
- Netflix Movie Review Blog: Your blog can be focused on reviewing Netflix movies specifically.
By now, I’m sure you’re getting the picture. The list of possible niches is virtually endless. You can also choose Experimental movies, Broadway, RomComs, Documentaries, etc. as your niche, or even combine different niches to come up with something unique.
Just remember, the movie industry is extensive, so don’t try to be all things to all people with your new blog. Pick a niche that interests you and move on to the next step. You can always expand on it later.
The niche you choose will guide your content strategy.
However, keep in mind that you can still write about different topics on your blog. For instance, The Movie Blog is clearly focused on writing about Hollywood films, but they still occasionally publish about Asian films, Indie films, and documentaries.
The main focus of the movie blog Screen Anarchy is Asian and Foreign films, but they also comment on bigger Hollywood films once in a while.
Once you know your focus, you will be able to keep your direction clear. But, every now and then, you can allow yourself to talk about other things that interest you.
3. Choose Your Blogging Platform
Before you can start blogging, you need to have a blogging platform. This is the software that will allow your blog to be available online.
There are many platforms to choose from, both free and paid, but I recommend that you steer clear of free blogging platforms like Blogger, Wix, and Squarespace.
Although it may be tempting to start your new movie blog with no investment of money, below are some reasons why you should avoid this course of action.
Reasons to Avoid Free Blogging Platforms
- The features are quite limited and will limit your ability to grow and monetize your blog in the future.
- You don’t have full control over your site, and any SEO work that you do will benefit the free blogging platform and not your own website.
- Free blogging platforms look unprofessional. Instead of having a name like “MyMovieBlog.com”, you’ll have to use something like “MyMovieBlog.SquareSpace.com”
- The host may show ads everywhere on your website – some of which may not even be related to the type of content you produce, which means you risk alienating your visitors.
Free blogging platforms do nothing to help you build trust in your relationships with your readers. After all, who would take your movie blog seriously if you can’t even be bothered to get your own hosting and domain?
That’s why I recommend that you choose self-hosted WordPress as your blogging platform. (Keep in mind that this is different from the free WordPress.com blogging platform).
Why Choose Self-Hosted WordPress over Free Blogging Platforms
- WordPress is free to use. It’s also very easy to download and install
- The software is user-friendly and great for beginners without any coding experience
- WordPress comes with tons of free and paid plugins for extending site functionality
- The platform offers affordable themes for easy website customization
- WordPress also integrates with many other services and apps
- The software offers a lot of flexibility in monetizing your movie blog
- You also get support from a huge community of users and developers
Take a look at these recent WordPress statistics to get an idea of just how popular the WordPress blogging platform is:
- WordPress powers 60% of all websites that are built on CMS
- The number of WordPress sites online grows by about 4% each year
- WordPress websites get over 400 million visits every month
- More than 660 WordPress blogs are built every single day
- WordPress has over 50,000 free and paid plugins to choose from
4. Decide Your Domain Name
Your domain name is what you’re going to call your new movie blog. For instance, if you name your blog Weird Horror Movies, then your domain name will be WeirdHorrorMovies.com, or WeirdHorrorMovies.net, etc. In short, the domain name will serve as your blog’s address online.
You need to choose a name that is short, unique, catchy, and memorable. This way, you make it easy and convenient for your blog followers to type the name in their browsers when they want to return to your blog.
Listed below are 10 steps to help you choose a memorable name that is also brandable and aligned with your style.
1. Go with “.com”: Although there are tons of other movie-related domain extensions, such as .movie, .film, etc., I recommend that you choose a domain name with a .com extension as this will help to build trust with your readers.
2. Choose a Broad Name: Try to avoid choosing a name that is too narrow. For instance, if you choose a name like “Fun Wedding Movies”, it limits the type of content you can create and makes it hard to grow and expand your blog over time.
3. Keep It Short: Your name should be short and easy to type into the browser. So, avoid long or complex words and keep your movie blog name to just two or three words, if you can. If necessary, you can use up to four words, but try not to exceed that number.
4. Make Use of Alliteration: Alliteration is the use of two or more words that begin with the same sound or letter. Using this tactic helps to make your blog name more memorable, like Film Fans, Trailer Tyrant, or Movie Mania.
5. Get Creative: If the name you want for your new movie blog is already taken, you can use synonyms or other similar words to find a name you might be happy with. For instance, if you wanted the name “Awesome Action Movies”, you might consider using something like “Epic Action Movies” instead.
6. Add Extra Words: If you’ve tried everything else and you still can’t get the name you want, try adding extra words like “the”, “blog”, “hub”, etc. You may also consider using keywords in your title. For instance, if your blog is focused on classic movies, you might choose a name like “Classic Cinema Mania”.
7. Think of a Concept: Imagine how your movie blog could be branded, or how you might expand the blog in the future. This will help you come up with ideas for unique names for your blog.
8. Use Name Generating Tools: If all else fails and you find that you are still stuck for a name, use domain name generators like Name Mesh, Lean Domain Search, and Instant Domain Search. Simply enter some keywords, and the tool will present you with a list of possible domain names for your new movie blog.
9. Don’t Purchase a Domain Name: You may find that the name you want is already taken and being offered for sale for hundreds, or maybe even thousands of dollars. Don’t be tempted to buy it.
Instead, go with a standard domain name and use that money to help you create valuable content to grow your site. Later on, when you’re blog is profitable, you can then purchase any domain name you want.
10. Don’t Get Stuck at This Stage: A lot of people who set out to start a new movie blog never make it past the stage. Picking a name is an important part of the process, but it shouldn’t take you longer than a couple of hours to get through the steps outlined above. Choose a name that you’re happy with, and move on to the next step.
Examples of Popular Movie Blogs (and why their names make sense)
- Movie Marathon: This movie blog makes use of alliteration to create a name that is easy to remember.
- Filmy Site: This name is short and sweet. It’s easy for blog visitors to type into their browsers.
- Filmoholics: This blog name is short and unique. It makes it clear that the blog is focused on avid movie lovers.
- Movie Marker: As with the example above, this blog also uses alliteration to create a name that is easy to recall.
- Back to the Movies: This is a memorable name for a blog about classic movies. It’s a play on the title of the popular sci-fi adventure film, Back to the Future.
Here are 10 ideas for movie blog names to get your creative juices flowing:
- Heroes of Cinema
- Wedding Movie Reviews
- Savvy Movie Watchers
- Horror Movie Hub
- Crazy Classics
- Fun Film Fans
- Fetch the Popcorn
- Dread Central
- Flick Chart
- Trailer Tyrant
5. Buy Your Domain Name and Hosting
Your next step is to actually buy the domain and hosting. If your domain name is your blog’s address, and your website is your movie blog’s actual home on the internet, then the hosting is the real estate on which the house will be built.
You rent this real estate from web hosting providers. In return, they host your website on their servers and ensure that it’s always visible online for your audience to find.
There are many web host providers that you can choose from. I recommend you use SiteGround, a reliable web host that has been around for a very long time. They offer affordable services for new bloggers.
When you sign up for their hosting services, you get robust security features, including a free SSL certificate to help protect visitors’ data. SiteGround also offers 24/7 customer support which is perfect for those who are tech-challenged, as well as beginner bloggers who have never built a website before.
SiteGround is the perfect web host for your new movie blog. I have been using them myself for many years. They have a superfast server and my website has an impressive loading speed of under one second.
Below, I take you through the process of purchasing a domain name and hosting for your movie blog. I’ve also included a YouTube video and screenshots showing you the exact step-by-step process. You can choose whatever tutorial that works best for you.
Make sure you click on this link to begin (and to support me) by getting my recommended hosting.
Step 1: If you haven’t yet, click on this link and you’ll be brought to the Managed WordPress Hosting page that you see below.
Step 2: Next, you’ll be brought to the hosting plan page. You could choose to get a “Growbig” or “GoGeek” plan but honestly, you don’t need it. The Startup plan is the cheapest at $6.99/month through my link vs. the normal $14.99/month.
This plan has everything you need including 10GB of webspace (plenty of room for your files), up to 10,000 visits monthly (perfect for a brand new website), Free WordPress Installation (they make this SUPER easy), Free SSL (the thing that shows “secure” in the top left of your browser when you visit a website), and Free Email (Very helpful to make you look professional to others).
Step 3: After clicking into the plan, you’ll be brought to the next page where you will click “Register a New Domain” and then input the domain name you want for your website. This is the final URL people will type into a browser to view your website in the future.
Step 4: Once you click “Proceed” on the previous step you’ll be taken to a page that asks for your personal and billing information. As you scroll down the page, you’ll see an area asking for you to input your “period” oh hosting. This determines how long you have your hosting for.
I highly recommend that you choose 12 months. Frankly, 24-36 months is not really needed right now and I think it’s smart that you just spend what is absolutely required at this point in time and don’t waste any money.
They have a one month trial, but that includes an additional setup cost that really is a total waste of money because, after a month, you’ll have to purchase the 12 months anyway to keep your hosting.
Step 5: As you’ll see in the screenshot below, after your purchase you have an account and can get started. From this point, you still have to set the website up, but your payment is all taken care of. Please click on “Proceed to Customer Area”.
Step 6: Next you’ll need to login to your account that you just created the login information for. Put in your Username and password and click “submit”.
Step 7: Once you login, you’ll see the page below. This page is where you have the option to set up your website and you need to click on the “Set Up Site” option to begin.
Step 8: On the next screen you’re going to click to Start a New Website and choose WordPress as your CMS.
Step 9: On this same screen after you choose WordPress, it’s going to ask you to create your Email Address and Password associated with the website. Please note: This is what you’ll use to login to your email panel, so make it something you can remember!
Step 10: This is Sitegrounds last attempt to ask you if you want SG Site Scanner or Domain privacy. We already went over this earlier, but they try one last time to make sure you’re all set with the right products. If you’re good and don’t want to add anything, just click “finish”.
Step 11: It will take them a minute to set up your site and then you’ll see this screen. The image below means that your new website is good to go. I suggest you click on “Manage Site” to see the backend administrator panel.
Step 12: The admin panel has a lot of different tools to help you manage your website. These can all be accessed on the left side of the screen by using any of the options available. Note: You do NOT need to take any action in the back-end right now, this just helps you understand what’s on the screen and what you’re seeing. Move to the next step.
Step 13 (Final): Your website is LIVE. Just go to a browser and type in your domain name. Once you do this, you’ll be able to access your website!
Congrats! You officially have a website.
If you’re wondering how to edit things on the website, all you have to do from here is go to your website URL with /wp-admin at the end in a browser and login.
6. Choose and Install a Theme For Your Teacher Blog
A theme is a piece of software that determines how your blog looks. I don’t have to tell you how important aesthetics are for a movie blog.
That’s why you need to choose a good-looking theme that will attract visitors to your blog and help you maintain audience engagement for as long as possible.
There are tons of WordPress themes to choose from, including free themes and premium themes. I would advise against using a free theme because they are hard to customize and your new blog will end up looking like thousands of other movie blogs online.
If you want a blog that stands out, you’re better off choosing one of the many premium WordPress movie themes available.
Advantages of Choosing a Premium Theme
- Constantly Updated: Premium WordPress themes are always updated by their developers. This is not the case with free themes.
- Full Features: When you purchase a premium theme, you get access to all the theme’s features, as opposed to using a free theme where most of the features are locked, thereby limiting your ability to customize the theme.
- Well Optimized: Premium themes come mobile and SEO-optimized. All you need to do after purchasing the theme is to upload and activate it on your blog.
- Customer Support: With premium themes, you also get reliable tech support, which makes them ideal for new bloggers.
- Enhanced Security: Premium WordPress themes come with inbuilt security that helps to fight off malicious code and keep your site secure.
Now that you understand the importance of choosing a premium WordPress theme for your new movie blog, let’s take a look at some examples of themes that are great for movie blogs.
Here are a few examples of themes that are great for a movie blog:
Personally, I always recommend Thrive Theme Builder.
Why? Because it’s completely customizable and you can adjust your blog to look exactly how you want by pointing/clicking as opposed to hiring a developer.
In fact, this blog was build using Thrive Theme Builder and I’m absolutely thrilled with the result. Long term? I think this is the most cost-effective theme you’ll find.
Click the image below to watch a video and learn more about Thrive Theme Builder.
And, if you’d like to watch an extremely detailed tutorial you can watch this playlist on YouTube.
This theme is ideal for Netflix, YouTube, and IMDB-like sites. It comes with 6 demos, 47 Gutenberg blocks, and various other features that will allow you to fully customize your movie blog to make it unique and attractive.
This theme has a powerful framework and three layouts that offer you spectacular options for your movie blog. The theme is retina-ready and you can easily publish your movie and film reviews, trailers, and much more.
The passion is an epic responsive, multipurpose theme that is ideal for movie blogs. It comes with a video magazine with a fronted upload option, and it also has WooCommerce, as well as a visual composer.
This theme is perfect for video blogs and podcast websites. It has a ton of great features and allows you to easily create your own YouTube channel site, which makes it great for a movie blog that publishes lots of video content.
This WordPress theme is fully responsive and perfect for movie databases and TV show sites. It has clean code and a professional interface that is dark, modern, and attractive. It also has a powerful built-in movie library plugin that allows you to easily import movie data from TMDB with just one click.
These are just a few themes that you can choose from. If none of them appeal to you, you can search through theme marketplaces like Theme Forest, Studio Press, and Envato to find the perfect WordPress movie theme.
Listed below are the most important factors to consider when choosing the best theme for your movie blog.
What to Look for in a Great Theme:
- Mobile Responsive and Fast
- Beautifully Designed and Professional-Looking
- Templates to Match Your Style
- Responsive Technical Support
- Created by a Well-Established Brand
- Good Ratings From Users
Once you’ve found a theme that you’re happy with, and have it installed on your blog, it’s time to start creating pages for your blog.
7. Create Essential Pages & Logo
This step involves creating your blog’s essential pages. These are the main pages that will help you build trust with your audience, and so it’s important to take the time to ensure that you craft the content well.
About Page: On some movie blogs, you may see this page titled “My Story”. This page is where you share information about yourself, why you started a movie blog, and so on.
The people that follow your blog want to get to know you, and people love good stories, so use this page as a means to connect with your new audience and give them an idea of the type of value they can expect from your blog. You can also include an image of yourself on this page.
Contact Page: If any of your readers need help or want to collaborate with you, they should have an easy way to reach you. You can use the Contact Form 7 plugin on your WordPress blog to create a professional-looking contact form for this page.
You can also include other information, such as your email address, phone number, Skype, address, etc. to give your readers different options and make it more convenient for them to get in touch with you.
Create a Logo: It’s also a good time to focus on creating a logo for your book blog. There are a LOT of different ways to do this, but I’m a big fan of using this logo maker.
To get started, you can click here to create a blog logo. I think it’s a good idea to create a logo at this point now that your blog is all setup.
This platform will provide you with a free logo for your blog and if you need the high-resolution logo files, you can pay a very minimal amount for access to those files and a few other things.
8. Begin Blogging
You have to regularly publish new content in order to build a targeted audience for your movie blog. Without an audience, you will not be able to make your blog a success, let alone monetize it. Content will also play a huge role in helping you become a “pro” in the movie review industry.
The type of content you create can include:
- Evergreen Articles: These have a long shelf life. They will continue to draw readers to your movie blog for a long time.
- Videos: The explosive growth of video-sharing sites like YouTube and video-based tech like TikTok offers a ton of opportunities for video content creators to connect with a global audience.
- News-Type Articles: We’ve established that as a movie blogger, you are not a news journalist. However, you can publish news-type articles or any other announcement-type content on your blog.
- Image Heavy Content: More and more people are choosing videos and image-based content over written text on blogs. You can make your blog more appealing to different segments of your audience by including lots of eye-catching imagery in your posts.
- Mix-And-Match: If you want your blog to stay fresh, you need to publish a variety of content. You will obviously have your popular posts that resonate the most with your audience, but it’s also important to provide a variety of content so you can cater to a wider audience.
Just keep in mind that just because you have to publish regularly doesn’t mean that you should regularly publish low-quality content.
You must choose a blog posting frequency that allows you to consistently create high-quality content that resonates with your target audience.
But what exactly should you write about?
Here are a few ideas and writing categories to give you inspiration for creating content for your blog.
- Film reviews
- Film hauls
- Your favorite (or least favorite) genres
- X thoughts while watching __
- Review film streaming services
- Your favorite actors or actresses
- Top 10 film flops of the year/century
- Your favorite (or least favorite) directors
- Book vs. film
- Awesome film-related gifts
- Share unpopular or controversial opinions
- Badly-written film plots
- Everything wrong with __ (movie)
As a movie blogger, you will never run out of things to write about! There are tons of new movies coming out, which means you can make reviews daily if you want to.
Just keep in mind the following important things:
Do Keyword Research: You need to understand keyword research so you can rank your posts for low competition keywords. You also need to implement on-page SEO best practices. You can use a plugin like Yoast SEO which will provide you with all the data you need to optimize your website for search.
Consistency Is Key: Becoming a movie blogger is not the route to quick riches. Some people think that by publishing a few posts, they will become millionaires. Just because it’s cheap to start a movie blog, and anyone can do it, it doesn’t mean that everyone will succeed. The key to success is being consistent in your content creation and blog promotion efforts.
Be Patient: When you start blogging, it can take a while before you start to see results. You need to be patient while being persistent and maintaining your marketing efforts. Don’t expect your brand-new blog to rank overnight. But, if you keep pushing you will be able to build a solid foundation for a great-performing blog.
Avoid Burnout: A common mistake that most beginner movie bloggers make is to feel like they need to post to their blog 15 times a day right out the gate. In the beginning, it’s not necessary to post so much, and having such unrealistic expectations will likely lead to burnout.
Don’t let your enthusiasm get the better of you. Rather, start small with just one or two posts per day. Find your voice, and as you get comfortable expressing your thoughts, you can increase your posting frequency while maintaining the quality of your content.
Check out the Competition: Take a look at what other popular movie bloggers are doing. Read their blogs, and get ideas and inspiration for your own content.
Familiarize yourself with different directors. Learn their styles and notice the differences in their plot development, cinematography, musical scores, and so on.
As you become more knowledgeable about movies and marketing, in general, you will become better at critically reviewing movies, growing your audience, and increasing traffic to your blog.
Popular Blogs to Check out:
- Screen Rant
- Slash Film
- First Showing
- The Documentary Blog
- Film School Rejects
- Row Three
- Obsessed With Film
As a movie blogger, you should be actively reading other popular movie blogs. And, although movie blogging is different from news reporting, you also need to stay up-to-date on whatever is currently happening in the movie world by keeping up with different movie news sites, such as the ones listed below:
Important: Publish at least 10 blog posts before promoting your new blog.
Before you start promoting your new blog, make sure that you have published at least 10 blog posts so that your visitors will find a well-populated, professional-looking blog.
Include a variety of content that will appeal to a wide audience. The more content people have to browse on your blog, the longer they are likely to stay. Also, if they see that you have lots of interesting, engaging content, they are likely to bookmark your blog and come back another time to explore some more.
Pro Tip: If you are going to produce movie review videos, make sure you get the right equipment, including cameras, lights, tripod stand, video editing software, and so on. You may also have to learn video editing so you can create high-quality videos for your audience without the added cost of outsourcing.
9. Promoting Your Movie Blog
It won’t matter how great your new blog is if no one ever gets to see it. Now that you have everything in place, it’s time to implement some blog promotion strategies so you can get visitors to your blog.
Tell Friends and Family: The first thing you should do once your blog is live is to share it with your family and friends. Ask them to check out your blog, read your posts, and give you feedback on how you might improve it. Also, ask them to share your blog with their network of friends so you can get even more exposure.
Social Media: The power and importance of social media cannot be overemphasized. You need to create pages for your new movie blog on different social media sites, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram.
You don’t have to be on every platform, but you must choose the social sites where your target audience hangs out most of the time.
Remember, a big part of your success will be attributed to your ability to be conversant about the way the cinema world works. Social media gives you access to a massive audience of potential followers and will help you to achieve your goals in this regard.
Movie Clubs on Facebook: A great way to increase the popularity of your new movie blog and get more traffic to your posts is to join movie clubs on Facebook where you can post informative comments on a variety of trending issues in the movie industry.
There, you can network with other bloggers, and hopefully, get mentions from them which will result in even more traffic flowing to your blog.
Guest Blogging: Guest blogging involves writing posts for other blogs in your niche. This is a great blog promotion strategy that exposes you to brand-new audiences that you otherwise may not have been able to reach.
Simply find other movie blogs in your niche that your target audience reads, and then reach out to them with a pitch for a blog post. You can then link back to your own blog and soon you will start to see a healthy stream of blog traffic from all your guest posting efforts.
SEO: When you start blogging, it’s important to focus on search engine optimization practices, such as including important keywords in your content so that it can be found for your target audiences searching online.
The more you write reviews and critique movies on your blog, the more you will be recognized as a specialist in your niche. The more authority you exhibit, the more Google will rank your site higher in the search engine results pages. Over time, this will lead to increased traffic levels for your blog.
Encourage Discussion on Your Blog: One of the best ways to get the word out about your new movie blog is to get your followers and fans to share it with their network of friends. If you can maintain high engagement levels on your blog, people will be more likely to share your posts.
One way to do this is by encouraging discussion in the comments section. End your posts with open questions, and ask readers for input. You’ll find it a lot easier to promote your movie blog if you can maintain an interactive blog that is social and conversational in nature.
Keep an Eye on the Competition: In addition to implementing the blog promotion techniques outlined above, you must also pay attention to your competitors. Take a look at what they’re doing and all the different methods they are using to promote their blogs.
- What are they posting?
- What are they not posting?
- What movies are they writing for?
- What types of posts are most popular with their audience?
Don’t copy their content, but create unique content that’s even better than theirs. If there is something they are missing, use it to your advantage to give you an edge over the rest.
And remember, you must have at least 10 blog posts published on your site before you implement any of these blog promotion strategies.
If we’re on the same page on this one, it’s time to move on.
10. Start Making Money
Now that everything is set up, it’s time to focus on monetizing your new blog. Movie blogs can be quite lucrative if you use the right monetization techniques.
Listed below are just a few of the most commonly used techniques to make money from your movie blog. Don’t feel that you need to implement all of them at the same time.
Simply pick one, and once you’ve implemented it successfully on your blog, you can move on to the next one.
Google AdSense: Signing up for Google AdSense is easy and quick. Once you have been approved, Google will start showing ads to your website visitors. In return, you will get paid a small fee for each ad view. Over time, this adds up to create a nice stream of income from your blog.
The amount you make with Google AdSense will grow as your audience grows. Once you have a high level of traffic coming to your blog, you can add or switch to other ad networks like Ezoic or Mediavine so you can maximize your ad revenue.
Patreon: Patreon is a membership platform that offers content creators the tools to run a subscription service. It’s a great site that you can use to earn monthly income from your following by asking them to support your website with a small monthly donation.
You can create extra content and post it on the crowdfunding platform where your most loyal readers can support your website.
Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing involves recommending products and services to your audience and then getting paid a small fee for each sale generated. As a movie blogger, there are tons of affiliate marketing opportunities open to you. You can join any number of affiliate networks, including Amazon Associates, Commission Junction, Shareasale, etc.
There is a wide variety of products to choose from. For instance, you might write a critique or review for a movie and then link to a DVD using your Amazon affiliate link.
Each time someone makes a purchase, you will get a commission (typically between 3-10%). If you join Commission Junction, you can also get nice deals in commissions from websites like Disney and Blockbuster.
Create a Service: Another basic way to make money from your movie blog is to create a service. If you know of a service that your audience needs that you can provide, then you have a viable business.
You can either deliver the service through one-on-one interaction with users or via a piece of software. Alternatively, you can directly complete the task for the users. Either way, creating a service in this way is a great way to make money from your skillset and your movie blog.
Examples of services you could offer include:
- Consulting about writing, marketing, etc.
- Seminars on how to make movies (if you blog about movie-making)
- Seminars on how to write movie reviews (if your blog is focused on movie reviews)
- One-on-one coaching (if you have a skill set that your audience wants to learn about)
Selling Movie Merch: Selling physical products is one of the original money making strategies. If you have an audience that is hungry for certain products, you can sell to them on your blog. You can either use dropshipping or self-fulfilled distribution methods.
Dropshipping allows you to make the sale and then order the product from the manufacturer who then handles the shipping to the end-user. The margins are slimmer than self-fulfilled sales where you buy the product from the manufacturer, store it, and then ship it to the customer yourself. Although more profitable, self-fulfilled involves a more hands-on approach than dropshipping.
Sell Digital Products: You can sell digital products on your website that film fans may find interesting. These include e-books, gated content, online courses, and so on.
This type of monetization strategy is a blogger’s dream because you only create the item once and then sell it many times with no cost of reproduction. The strategy also allows you to scale your business to infinity.
As a beginner, you probably won’t have that much content on your blog for you to create digital products from, and you may have to invest some money and time into the creation. However, after a while, you may be able to create digital products like ebooks or email courses using some of the content on your site that you can then sell to your audience.
Sponsored Posts: In this industry, it’s vital to make connections. Unlike other industries like tech or travel, the movie blogging industry has a limit to the types of products that you can sell on your blog.
Most of the contact happens through PR officials from large production houses which is why making the right connections can go a long way in helping you maximize blog revenue – not only from the sale of merchandise but also from sponsored posts from PR reps who will want to have their movies talked about on your blog.
In addition to monetary incentives, you may also receive free films and premiere tickets to review their movies, among other things. But, this can only happen if you run a successful and popular movie blog.
Whether you are looking to make a few hundred dollars extra per month or to replace the income from your current job, implementing these blog monetization strategies will help you generate profit from your movie blog.
How to Start a Movie Blog: The Final Word
In the beginning, it may seem like an impossible dream, trying to compete with other popular blogs in your niche.
However, the good news is that with a bit of persistence, you will be able to achieve great things with your new movie blog.
Use the information in this guide to help you start and grow a unique move blog and eventually monetize it so you can make money and achieve your goals of becoming a great movie blogger.